Hitting Information Overload Day Head-on as We Celebrate Free at 50’s 3rd Year
Why I'm celebrating and how it's inspiration to take action.
October 20th is National Information Overload Day and October 31st is my birthday... meaning we are heading into my 53rd year and this blog's 3rd official year! How am I combining this all into one post? Easy, it's about taking action.
I usually keep my "birthday" posts pretty simple and today, in honor of National Information Overload Day coming soon, this post will stay true to my tradition. Last year, I focused on Step 1 of my 6-Step Checklist to Escape the 9-5: finding your why. It's an article sharing my determination to keep blogging!
One year later, I'm using October of 2023 to talk about taking action. Overwhelm (which often comes directly from information overload!) can freeze us up. It can be the enemy of progress and goal-achievement so this post is about taking action.
Taking action is the only sure thing to get out of being "frozen." You literally just have to do something.
RELATED: Click here to follow content strategist Cyndi Zaweski's Instagram account where you can find relatable ideas to structure your content and share your message.
Necessary disclaimer: As a blogger, I use affiliate links sometimes! I may receive commission from purchases I share; it does not change your price but sometimes you might get a discount.
Let's put my journey into context, then do the same for yourself.
What got me to where I am today, in October of 2023.
I love bullet points so let's do it!
- 1970- born on Halloween and headed into fantastic childhood really... I was blessed
- 1988- after multiple mind-changes throughout my first 17 years, landed on political science/pre-law at Michigan State
- 1992- graduated from Michigan State- no law school, I had too much fun and, instead, turned my internship into full-time work... yes, you interpreted that correctly if you saw I went straight from college into the workforce without a break
- 2004- after 14 years (including my internship-time) under the Capitol dome in Michigan, I transitioned into supporting a small business- I began a journey working in optometry (patient relations, business growth/management, community relations and marketing)
- 2010- I moved full-time into my first position, ultimately running a national staff training program, with a medium-sized company that would be sold to venture capitalists and, ultimately, a global corporation
- 2020- Covid... corporate layoffs... reading the 4-Hour Workweek... making decisions... and in November I landed on blogging! Here is my story.
- 2021- we moved to the place we loved to vacation: Williamsburg Virginia
- 2023- still blogging and continuing to evolve including supporting others with my 3-2-1 (take) Action offer!
Photo credit: Daphne Reznik
Every step, every experience, gave me education and skills.
Same for you and your journey.
For the past 3 years I've continued to grow and learn, still determined to blog long-term. Yes, it's been full of information overload. How I always come out sane and confident: taking action.
RELATED: Click here to read Skye Sauchelli's guest post about the benefits of taking action in entrepreneurship!
What got you to where you are today?
If you were to cut and paste my bullet point list and fill them in with your life... what would that look like?
- What experiences and skills would you highlight on your list?
- What do you want 2024 to look like?
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash
There is so much information out there, and the overload can cause "freezing up."
This is something I personally struggle with. There are so many ideas, resources, and tools out there.
And I love to learn. I seriously cannot stop- it's why moving to Williamsburg was SUCH a great decision for me. I even started a 2nd blog because of my passion (addiction?) to learning. You can check it out here.
But back on topic: too much info can freeze us up.
I've been there. I have 3 go-to sources to bring me back and un-freeze myself so to speak. Save them in case any can prove useful to you! In the end, they all lead to taking action.
- The Essential Habits of 6-Figure Bloggers grounds me. Click here to buy it.
- My own post about doing one thing at a time. Click here to read and bookmark it.
- My friend Maggie Perotin's Episode 90 on her Diamond Effect podcast. Click here to listen/add to your playlist.
'Commit' is everyone's favorite October idea.
Let me explain. I recently wrote a blog post sharing ideas for finishing the year strong- it is October after all!
Click here to read it - where you can see the comments about my suggestion to COMMIT.
Committing to taking action can feel as overwhelming as all the information that is available out there. It's the reason I was drawn to using October 20th as a prompt for this year's birthday post.
And committing is something I happen to be super-good at if I say so myself.
Helping OTHERS to commit that is! So sticking with blogging as my main focus, I have an offer if you need a bit of momentum in crushing a goal.
- $300 investment
- 2 hours of coaching/guidance and ACTION ITEMS over 2 months. A 30-minute call every 2 weeks
- 1 goal achieved, 1 obstacle overcome. You tell me what you need, we make it happen!
Want to chat? Book a quick call with me here to talk about working together!